Club Nissan Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical > Engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the all new Club Nissan forum.

Car runs for a few miles and stops

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveSpokes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Car runs for a few miles and stops
    Posted: 12 Dec 2019 at 2:21pm
Hi.

I would welcome some thoughts from members please. I have a 2004 1.2 Nissan Micra and by and large when it is running, it works well though usually only used for short local trips of a few miles.

However a few weeks ago, on a longer than average journey - about 20 miles - the engine started to splutter and then cut out completely. No overheating, no water loss, oil fine. Everything else (power, lights etc) all fine too.

After making a phone call (a few minutes), I tried again on the off chance it would work and it fired up perfectly, I drove home and checked for loose connections to plugs etc the next day. It then seemed to be fine - though no faults found.

On the next longer journey, much the same happened, but this time, after a few minutes, it would only splutter and not re-start. it was only an hour or so later that the engine would fire up and run properly to get me home.

I have checked plugs - all seemed fine but replaced anyway, leads  replaced and petrol tank around half full - HOWEVER it did run out completely before the problems started.

It *seems* like the problem is fuel starvation but I am confused as to why a pump would work perfectly to start and then stop after about 15 minutes - or why a filter could be blocked and then work again later.

It also runs roughly when accelerating hard or trying to climb a hill after the engine has been running a few minutes. Gentle driving or even under load when first switched on is fine.

Is there anything else that people could suggest I look at please - as the mechanics idea of just trying things and replacing them until it works will end up costing more than my little car is worth.

Any ideas would be very welcome, many thanks

Steve.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic